Titanic survivors, Iroquois Theatre fire victims lived in Norwood Park house for sale

The home’s original owners, according to historical articles that Sanders provided, were Louis Hippach, a co-founder of Tyler-Hippach Glass, and his wife, Ida Hippach. They may have used it only as their summer home. 

In December 1903, two of the Hippachs’ sons, 14-year-old Robert and 12-year-old Archie, were among the more than 600 people who died in the devastating fire that broke out during a matinee at the three-week-old Iroquois Theatre on Randolph Street. 

In 1912, Ida Hippach and her daughter, Jean, were completing a tour of Europe when they boarded the grand new British luxury steamship the Titanic for its first voyage. When the ship sank, they escaped on the last lifeboat. When they got home to Chicago, they told the Chicago Record Herald that John Jacob Astor, the wealthiest person aboard the ship, had put his wife in the lifeboat and then ordered it held so the two

Read More

3 pitches eyed for downtown fire station site

Craig McDonald
 
| Newark Advocate

Three proposals are being considered by Granville Village Council regarding the soon-to-be-vacant fire house site on North Prospect Street in the downtown.

Village Manager Herb Koehler confirmed Tuesday, “We had four viable submissions. We didn’t reject any of them. All four of them were deemed viable.”

Koehler said however, that one of the four competitors has subsequently withdrawn their proposal: “We’ve had one bidder remove themselves from consideration. I’m not sure why.”

Two of the three remaining potential developers of the fire station site will be quite familiar to Granville residents and diners: Day Y Noche and Three Tigers Brewing Company/Mai Chau.

Day Y Noche, specializing in Mexican Cuisine, currently is located at 135 E. Broadway in downtown Granville.

Three Tigers and Mai Chau are presently located just across the street from the downtown fire station building on North Prospect.

Koehler said both proposals by

Read More

At least 26 homes destroyed in Colorado’s CalWood fire as western wildfires rage

At least four new wildfires sparked over the weekend in Colorado and Utah during what has been a record-breaking fire season in the western US.



a close up of clouds in the sky: The CalWood fire burns on a hillside in Boulder county.


© Eric Lutzens/MediaNews Group/The Denver Post/Getty Images
The CalWood fire burns on a hillside in Boulder county.

More than 8.3 million acres have burned across the country this year, according to the National Fire Interagency Center.

Loading...

Load Error

In Colorado, fireghters battled the CalWood and Lefthand Canyon fires in Boulder county over the weekend, bringing the latter to full containment within a day. Those blazes arose as responders continue to fight the Cameron Peak fire, the largest wildfire in state history,

Two new fires spark in Colorado

The fast-moving CalWood Fire in the foothills of Colorado’s Rocky Mountains quickly grew to nearly 9,000 acres after sparking in Boulder county Saturday.

“This is actually the biggest wildfire in Boulder County history,” Boulder County Sheriff’s Office Division

Read More

Fire concern prompts stop-sale, US recall for 2019-2020 Hyundai Kona Electric

Hyundai has issued a recall affecting more than 11,000 Kona Electric vehicles in the U.S. and Canada from the 2019 and 2020 model years, due to an issue that could cause the battery to short-circuit and potentially start a fire. 

With the issuance of the recall notice, submitted on October 13 and posted by the federal government Saturday, Hyundai Motor America confirmed to Green Car Reports that it has also asked dealerships to stop the sale of the 2019 and 2020 Kona Electric in the U.S. and Canada—an estimated 1,000 vehicles in the U.S. and 10 in Canada—until the recall remedy is completed.

That includes any Hyundai certified pre-owned Kona Electrics, but it does not include the new 2021 Kona Electric models that will soon start arriving at dealerships and be available for sale.

Including vehicles already delivered, the recall affects the entire population of U.S. Kona Electric models—6,707 vehicles—made

Read More

Fire on Sign Hill in South San Francisco threatens homes, triggers evacuations

A four-alarm wildfire that broke out in the San Bruno Mountains of South San Francisco on Friday afternoon, triggering evacuations, was contained after 2 p.m.

“Fire crews continue to work of full extinguishment,” the South San Francisco Fire Department shared on Twitter. “Evacuation orders are still happening, please continue to stay out of the area.”

Mandatory evacuations are in effect for Carnelian Road, Sonja Road, Mountain Road, Ridgeview Court and Viewmont Terrace. A temporary evacuation center is set up at the MSB Social Hall at 33 Arroyo Dr.

Flames burned across a landscape of parched grass near the giant white cement letters spelling out “South San Francisco Industrial City” on Sign Hill. The blaze broke out around noon and emitted a massive plume of smoke. Easterly winds blew the smoke toward the coast and air quality levels in Pacifica quickly deteriorated.

Read More

Jalapeno Poppers Cause Apartment Fire

A planned batch of jalapeño poppers caused an apartment fire July 19th, 2012 in Muncie, Indiana. The Muncie Fire Department was called to the Hurley C. Goodall Apartments complex at 1902 W. Eighth St. shortly before 11 am

Kimberly Hobbs, whose apartment was the source of the fire, said she was about to fix herself jalapeño poppers when a friend called and asked her for a ride. Hobbs said she had put a pot of grease on the stove before her friend called and forgot it was there as she left her apartment.

When she arrived back home, she said, "I saw smoke coming out and all of these fire trucks."

Fire officials on the scene said it appeared the pot of grease on the electric stove burner was the cause of the fire.

"It looks like the main body of fire was in the kitchen," Captain Paul Sykes said. … Read More

Survive a Fire in an Apartment Building

Did you see this news from Los Angeles? A month ago, fire broke out in the 11th floor of a 25-story apartment building. Flames were visible through the broken window of the apartment; Smoke poured out and up. Ultimately, hundreds of people evacuated, and there were several injuries.

Happily, though, the fire was contained on one floor. Most people were able to return to apartments that were undamaged. What went right?

The danger of fire in a high-rise is LESS than in other structures.

According to the National Fire Protection Agency, only 3% of structural fires are in high-rise buildings. (Their definition of high-rise is 7 stories or higher. Other agencies define it differently. For this article, I'm defining high-rise as anything above the reach of the local fire department's highest ladder.)

When a fire does happen in a high-rise, there is statistically less damage.

This is because hotels and … Read More