Sarasota-Manatee housing sales through nine months surpass 2019 totals

Staff Report
 |  Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Home sales in Sarasota and Manatee counties during the first nine months this year surpassed the total during the comparable 2019 period, showing that the housing market remains strong despite the headwinds from the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to a report from Florida Realtors, the real estate market continued its trend in September of higher sales, higher prices and fewer available listings compared with last year.

“The September numbers show us more of what we have been seeing for the last several months,” said David Clapp, president of the Realtor Association of Sarasota and Manatee. “But, the months’ supply of inventory continues to go down, now at a painfully low level of just two months of supply for single-family homes and three months for condos. Keep in mind that six months is considered a balanced market.”

A news release from the Realtor Association said year-to-date, closed

Read More

No stimulus: Economy’s fate hangs on next few months | Staff Columnists

The issue is getting to that point without the economy backsliding or suffering the kind of enduring damage that could set back recovery for years.

The good news is that as we enter October, the private sector continues to show steady momentum. Last week’s jobs report showed that hours worked by private sector employees accelerated slightly in September from August, and have grown at around 1% sequentially for three consecutive months.

The housing market remains strong, with buyer demand steady and inventories continuing to decline. Rising home prices and an advancing stock market continue to lead to greater household wealth, even with millions of households and small businesses still struggling. Manufacturing surveys point to at least a short-term increase in demand and production as businesses restock inventories that have been depleted the past several months.

And as we saw in August personal income and personal spending data, the personal saving

Read More

England centre Manu Tuilagi ruled out for six months by torn achilles | Sport

Manu Tuilagi’s injury curse has struck again after Sale revealed he will be sidelined for six months with a torn achilles, ruling him out of England’s forthcoming autumn campaign as well as next year’s Six Nations and dealing Eddie Jones a huge blow.

Tuilagi will undergo surgery next week and will miss Sale’s Premiership title push, England’s bid for the 2020 Six Nations title against Italy on 31 October, and their Autumn Nations Cup campaign. The 29-year-old is also due to sit out the 2021 Six Nations, meaning he will play no Test rugby before the British & Irish Lions tour of South Africa. Indeed, he is likely to only be in the early stages of his comeback when Warren Gatland names his touring squad.

Tuilagi sustained the injury in the early stages of Sale’s victory at Northampton on Tuesday – his seventh appearance for the Sharks – in an

Read More