7 held for suspected tanker hijack after UK commando raid

LONDON – Seven stowaways seized when British naval special forces stormed an oil tanker in the English Channel have been arrested on suspicion of hijacking, police said Monday.

Hampshire Police said the men, believed to be from Nigeria, were being held at several police stations on suspicion of “seizing or exercising control of a ship by use of threats or force.” They have not been charged.

Police said the 22 crew members of the Nave Andromeda were “safe and well” after the raid, which unfolded after darkness fell on Sunday. Special Boat Service commandos were lowered by rope from helicopters onto the tanker, whose crew had locked themselves in a secure part of the ship known as the citadel. Within minutes, the stowaways were in custody.

Maritime tracking websites showed the ship reached port in Southampton, on England’s south coast, early Monday.

Police said officers were speaking to crew members

Read More

Suspects including young teens fired at cops during Toronto condo raid: police

CP24.com


Published Wednesday, October 21, 2020 1:19PM EDT


Last Updated Wednesday, October 21, 2020 5:01PM EDT

Suspects arrested in an early-morning raid at a condo in Toronto’s Don Mills area allegedly opened fire on officers who approached them, police said Wednesday.

At 1:47 a.m. Wednesday morning, heavily armed members of Toronto police’s Emergency Task Force approached a condo unit near The Donway and Lawrence Avenue East.

As they got closer, police allege several people inside, possibly including several young teenagers, fired “multiple rounds” at them with handguns.

The officers were not hit and they did not return fire.

Once inside the unit, police say they located four adults and four teenagers.

A female occupant of the unit was taken to hospital after she developed difficulty breathing.

Investigators allegedly found a Walther P99 handgun and a subcompact Glock handgun inside the unit.

Four adults charged were identified by police as 40-year-old

Read More

FBI, state agents raid Borrego Community Healthcare Foundation and El Cajon billing contractor

State and federal agents raided the offices Tuesday of the Borrego Community Healthcare Foundation, a nonprofit provider in Borrego Springs that last year billed more than $300 million in medical, dental and other services to the U.S. government.

Dozens of agents turned up at the organization’s administrative offices on Palm Canyon Drive first thing in the morning, seizing computers and boxes of medical records and interviewing employees who were not alerted to the search in advance.

Investigators also closed off the Borrego Medical Clinic a few miles to the southeast of the downtown Borrego Springs area, carting away files and other material.

Separate search warrants were executed at the foundation’s administrative offices off Sky Park Court in Kearny Mesa and at the El Cajon headquarters of Premier Healthcare Management, a management services company that provides billing and other services to the nonprofit.

FBI spokeswoman Davene Butler acknowledged warrants were served

Read More

Police raid homes of French officials in coronavirus probe

PARIS (Reuters) – Police raided the homes and offices of France’s health minister, its public health director and former prime minister on Thursday as a judicial investigation into the government’s response to the coronavirus crisis deepened.

The early morning searches stunned many in France, which has one of the highest COVID death tolls in Western Europe, and prompted Prime Minister Jean Castex to pay tribute to Health Minister Olivier Veran’s courage and determination.

“I have full confidence in Mr. Veran,” Castex told a press conference, held after France announced coronavirus curfews for Paris and eight other big cities. “I attest before you, he leads from the front.”

Although the prime minister and his cabinet do not enjoy legal immunity, unlike the president, police raids on the homes of sitting ministers are uncommon in France.

The probe was launched in July by France’s Court of Justice, established in 1993 to handle

Read More

French police raid homes of health minister and ex-PM in coronavirus probe

Police in France have carried out dawn raids on the homes of the country’s former prime minister, current and former health ministers, and other senior officials, as part of an inquiry into the government response to the coronavirus pandemic.



a man wearing a suit and tie


© Provided by The Independent


Covid-19 patients, doctors, prison and police personnel and others in France have filed dozens of complaints in recent months, notably over shortages of masks and other equipment, prompting the Paris prosecutor to order an investigation.

The offices of health minister Olivier Veran, as well as the private addresses of former prime minister Edouard Philippe, Veran and his predecessor Agnès Buzyn, and Sibeth Ndiaye, ex-spokeswoman for President Emmanuel Macron, were searched on Thursday, the French health ministry has confirmed.

Geneviève Chêne, director general of the French public health agency, as well as top health ministry official Jérôme Salomon, were also targeted in the police raids, which his

Read More