HUD awards more than $163,000 to Melvindale Housing Commission | News

Young adults in Melvindale transitioning out of foster care will be among those who benefit from $1.9 million earmarked for HUD’s Foster Youth to Independence Initiative.

U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson recently announced that the money will go to 235 former foster youth in the most recent round of vouchers for the agency’s FYI Initiative.

A total of 43 Public Housing Authorities in 24 states will receive this funding to continue HUD’s efforts to assist young adults transitioning out of foster care.

Awards include $163,332 for the Melvindale Housing Commission, the first PHA in Michigan to begin administering these FYI vouchers.

“Today, I am pleased to announce the Foster Youth to Independence Initiative has changed the lives of more than 1,000 young adults by helping them secure a place to call home,” Carson said. “These young people are powerful change-agents, making contributions that will propel our Nation forward. This additional funding demonstrates our commitment to opening the door for former foster youth at risk of homelessness so they can unlock their full potential.”

Since the initiative was launched in June of 2019, 34 states and 107 Public Housing Authorities have received FYI funding, totaling over $8.6 million in funds to prevent or end homelessness among young adults under the age of 25 who are in, or have recently left, the foster care system without a home to go to.

“By working together with other federal and local partners, HUD can ensure our country’s great gifts get passed on, so the young people of today can build a brighter tomorrow,” said Midwest Regional Administrator Joseph Galvan.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services estimates that more than 20,000 young people age out of foster care each year. The National Center for Housing and Child Welfare estimates that approximately 25% of these young people experience homelessness within four years of leaving foster care and an even higher share are precariously housed.

To be eligible for FYI funding, public housing authorities must administer a Housing Choice Voucher program and enter into a partnership with a Public Child Welfare Agency.

They also must accept young people referred by their partnering PCWA and determine that the referred youth are eligible for HCV assistance.

Source Article