Man critically injured in Plainville condo fire; neighbors, cops inhale smoke during rescue

Despite the efforts of rescuers, a man is in critical condition after he was burned in a fire at his Plainville condo Tuesday, a fire official said.

Loading...

Load Error

Five others — his wife, two neighbors and two police officers — suffered smoke inhalation. The neighbors and officers worked to get the man, who is in his 70s or 80s, out of the condo, Fire Marshal Ronald Dievert said. Everyone except the husband and wife was discharged after being treated at the hospital.

The condo at Parkside Condominiums, 114 South Washington St., was damaged too badly to be lived in, Dievert said. He determined the fire, which started in the kitchen, was an accident.

It started in the kitchen shortly before 5:15 p.m., Dievert said, The woman called out to her husband from the kitchen as the flames began to grow, but the man couldn’t get to the fire extinguisher in time to help her, he said. The husband, who has difficultly walking, had been sitting in a recliner in another room.

The wife wasn’t able to use the extinguisher, either, and realized she wasn’t going to be able to get her husband out. She left the condo and yelled for neighbors to help, Dievert said.

A man who lives upstairs and a 16-year-old boy came to the condo and worked to remove the man from the condo, soon to be joined by two police officers, the fire marshal said. They all ended up being taken to the hospital.

Of the teenager, Dievert said, “From what I understand, for a 16-year-old, his head was on straight. He made really good decisions.”

The woman at first declined to go to the hospital but later went to be checked out, he said. She was listed in stable condition late Wednesday morning.

Christine Dempsey can be reached at [email protected]

———

©2020 The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.)

Visit The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.) at www.courant.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Continue Reading

Source Article