Protesters target Akron leaders’ homes over gathering ban

Sean McDonnell
 
| Akron Beacon Journal

Akron officials trying to curb the spread of COVID-19 are attracting protesters to the front of their homes.

Larry Seeley, a Ward 3 resident and part of the Facebook group “Akronites For Freedom,” is one of about a dozen people who has been protesting at the home of Akron officials. 

The protests have been small, but they’ve caused enough commotion that one of Mayor Dan Horrigan’s neighbors rescheduled Thanksgiving.

More: COVID-19: Few complaints, no fines after week of Akron’s private gathering rules

“They’re demanding their right to speak to the mayor, while trampling all of our rights to a peaceful neighborhood,” the neighbor said.

The protests focus on an ordinance passed by Akron City Council that limits private social gatherings to only six guests during parties, dinner or other social events through Dec. 16. It also requires masks be worn inside the home when

Read More

Despite the CDC’s Eviction Ban, Thousands of Tenants Are Losing Their Homes

eviction-gt-img

Maricopa County constable Darlene Martinez knocks on a door before posting an eviction order on October 1, 2020 in Phoenix, Ariz. (John Moore / Getty Images)

On the first of

Read More

US announces stay of TikTok ban, and sale deadline is held off for at least a month

TikTok, the Chinese-owned popular video-sharing app caught in the midst of US-China tensions, temporarily dodged a ban Thursday that would have meant the shutting of its US operations and saw the deadline for the sale of its US operations moved until next month at the earliest.

The US Department of Commerce announced it would not enact the ban – scheduled to go into effect at midnight – that would have prevented US service providers from enabling users to gain access to TikTok, which would effectively force the app to shut down operations in the country.

Additionally, a federal appeal court extended the deadline – also Thursday at midnight – requiring the app’s parent company, ByteDance, to sell TikTok’s US operations to an American owner. That deadline had been set by US President Donald Trump in an executive order in August, saying that the app presented a national security risk.

Get

Read More

Man gets driving ban, fine for speeding while out buying durians with friend during circuit breaker

SINGAPORE: A man who left his house to buy durians with a friend during the “circuit breaker”, when all social gatherings were banned, was later caught speeding when his friend filmed the speedometer and posted an incriminating clip on social media.

Nazar-Rushdy Nazar Rosly, 21, was fined S$3,000 and given a year’s driving ban in court on Monday (Nov 9).

He pleaded guilty to one count of dangerous driving and one charge of breaching a COVID-19 regulation by meeting an individual not from his household for a social purpose – to buy durians.

A third charge of leaving his home during the circuit breaker to meet another individual was taken into consideration.

The court heard that Nazar-Rushdy drove his car along the Central Expressway towards Seletar Expressway at 11.30pm on May 9 at a dangerous speed.

He drove at a speed of 160kmh on a stretch of road

Read More

Teachers convicted of sexual abuse, child porn to face lifetime ban from classroom

Teachers and early childhood educators disciplined for sexual abuse or child pornography will be banned from the classroom for life, as part of a number of sweeping changes contained in Thursday’s provincial budget, the Star has learned.

The province will also add racist behaviours or comments to the list of acts considered professional misconduct for all educators that is subject to discipline, a government source said.

The loopholes that currently allow teachers whose certificates have been revoked to apply for reinstatement will end, the source said, adding there have been cases of teachers returning to the profession.

“It’s not in perpetuity,” the source said, adding they can attempt re-certification after just five years. “We are going to clean this up.”

The government also wants to make the ban retroactive.

The tougher stance will come with a number of other reforms to the Ontario College of Teachers, the regulatory body for

Read More

Site earmarked for Shigeru Ban building back up for sale in Cathedral Square

Redson Corporation planned to put up this Shigeru Ban designed building on its Cathedral Square site.

supplied/Stuff

Redson Corporation planned to put up this Shigeru Ban designed building on its Cathedral Square site.

Plans for a distinctive Cathedral Square building designed by Japanese architect Shigeru Ban have foundered and the land is back up for sale.

Owners Redson Corporation had intended to develop the double-storey building to house its tourist goods and souvenir business, Aotea Gifts, plus a cafe and space for another tenant.

Their property is the former ANZ bank site at the southern entrance to the Square.

Redson director Richard Hanson said that with Covid halting international tourism, they were unable to go ahead with the development.

READ MORE:
* First new commercial building in Cathedral Square since quake set to open
* Owners say Christ Church Cathedral delays might derail square revitalisation plans
* First picture of Shigeru Ban’s latest braided rivers-inspired design for central Christchurch
* Cathedral Square buildings scheduled for late-2019

Read More

STMicro sees more sales growth in fourth-quarter despite Huawei ban

PARIS (Reuters) – Franco-Italian chipmaker STMicroelectronics is expecting strong demand from the car and mobile phone industries to boost sales growth in the fourth quarter as it braces for a loss of revenue from China’s Huawei

FILE PHOTO: A logo is pictured on the factory of STMicroelectronics in Plan-les-Oautes near Geneva, Switzerland, December 6, 2016. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse/File photo

The Geneva-based company, whose major clients include iPhone maker Apple and carmaker Tesla, was also positive on the outlook for 2021, helping its share to reverse declines earlier on Thursday.

STMicro said it was expecting fourth-quarter sales to grow by about 12% from the previous quarter to $2.99 billion and to generate a gross margin of about 38.5%, or two and a half percentage points higher than in the quarter that ended in September.

This forecast takes into account the loss of sales from Huawei, the world’s biggest telecoms equipment maker, following

Read More

Coalition urges Wayne Co. to continue tax foreclosure ban

A coalition of community activists is calling on the Wayne County treasurer to pursue a continued ban of “inhumane” countywide property tax foreclosures in 2021 and beyond amid financial hardships spurred by COVID-19.

The Coalition for Property Tax Justice joined Wednesday with the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan for a press conference urging Treasurer Eric Sabree to ask for a court-issued halt in foreclosures of owner-occupied homes in Detroit for the years to come until over assessments that caused financial hardships in the city are fixed.

“We’re asking him to go to the courts and to let the courts decide,” said Bernadette Atuahene, a law professor and coalition organizer. “The proper place for this decision is in the courts and not the Wayne County Treasurer’s Office.”

Buy Photo

Bernadette Atuahene (Photo: David Guralnick, The Detroit News)

Atuahene argued the treasurer’s office has profited under the Michigan Tax Act from

Read More

Wayne County treasurer should extend foreclosure ban, advocates say

Christine MacDonald, Detroit Free Press
Published 7:33 p.m. ET Oct. 21, 2020 | Updated 7:46 p.m. ET Oct. 21, 2020

CLOSE

Wayne County Treasurer Eric Sabree should extend the current moratorium on county property foreclosures through 2021, civil rights advocates said Wednesday.

The Coalition for Property Tax Justice said the pause in foreclosures should continue through the end of next year because of the economic stress on homeowners caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic and overassessed properties in the county’s largest city, Detroit. 

Eric Sabree, Wayne County Treasurer. (Photo: Wayne County Treasurer’s office, Wayne County Treasurer’s office,)

The Coalition for Property Tax Justice held a virtual news  conference Wednesday, urging Sabree to go back to the Wayne County Circuit Court to get additional permission to halt all foreclosures through next year. He had received the court’s permission in mid-March to stop the process through 2020.

Sabree wanted the court order

Read More

New York Commercial Eviction, Foreclosure Ban Extended

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Getty, iStock)

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Getty, iStock)

Landlords looking to boot non-paying commercial tenants will have to wait until the new year.

New York’s moratorium on commercial evictions and foreclosures due to non-payment of rent will be in place through Jan. 1, 2021, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced in a press conference Tuesday.

The governor can only extend the ban for 30-day periods — meaning the latest order will need to be renewed again on Nov. 19. A spokesperson for the governor’s office said the ban would remain in place.

Cuomo said the commercial eviction and foreclosure moratorium would align with the rules governing residential evictions, although the legislation limiting some residential evictions is not a blanket moratorium — it allows tenants to raise a defense in non-payment cases, and allows landlords to seek a money judgments instead of eviction if the tenant is eligible. As of last week in Rochester, 27 eviction

Read More