Man critically injured in Plainville condo fire; neighbors, cops inhale smoke during rescue

Despite the efforts of rescuers, a man is in critical condition after he was burned in a fire at his Plainville condo Tuesday, a fire official said.

Loading...

Load Error

Five others — his wife, two neighbors and two police officers — suffered smoke inhalation. The neighbors and officers worked to get the man, who is in his 70s or 80s, out of the condo, Fire Marshal Ronald Dievert said. Everyone except the husband and wife was discharged after being treated at the hospital.

The condo at Parkside Condominiums, 114 South Washington St., was damaged too badly to be lived in, Dievert said. He determined the fire, which started in the kitchen, was an accident.

It started in the kitchen shortly before 5:15 p.m., Dievert said, The woman called out to her husband from the kitchen as the flames began to grow, but the man couldn’t get to the fire extinguisher

Read More