An historic converted dairy
factory that once delivered milk across Hamilton and now
houses a cutting-edge electronics business has been placed
on the market for sale.
building’s Art Deco façade at 436A State Highway 26, in
Newstead, is a familiar sight for motorists travelling the
busy route between Hamilton and the beach resorts and
holiday-homes of the Coromandel.
Constructed in 1935,
just after the Great Depression, the Newstead milk supply
plant (initially the Hamilton Co-operative Pure Milk
Company) traded through WWII before being bought by the NZ
Co-operative Dairy Co in 1947.
It was co-founded by
Frederick Lye, who served as a member of parliament for
Waikato for more than a decade in the 1920s and 1930s. He
was awarded the