Manitoba’s COVID-19 numbers trend downward as bars and restaurants face restrictions

WINNIPEG – Manitoba’s COVID-19 numbers have started to drop somewhat following a surge last week and after restrictions were imposed on restaurants and bars.

Health officials reported 80 new cases and the deaths of two residents at a Winnipeg personal care home Monday.

It was the fourth consecutive day that the new case number was in the double-digits after peaking last week at 173.

Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said there is no definitive way to link the drop to earlier closing times that were imposed on licensed restaurants and bars in the Winnipeg region two weeks ago.

But he said that was the aim of the rules — to cut the case count by reducing the amount of time people spend gathered in groups in close quarters.

“We just know with this virus that it’s prolonged indoor contact, and so businesses that have that as a major

Read More